Integrative Nutrition Blog
Favorite Fitness Activities for Summer
Physical activity is one of key primary foods in the Integrative Nutrition model, as staying active year-round is vital for our health and wellbeing.
In addition to the aesthetic benefits, the release of endorphins after a good sweat session has the ability to lift our spirits throughout the day, positively influence the way we interact with others, and even help us sleep better at night.
The summer season boasts longer days with plenty of sunlight, but with that comes significantly higher temperatures, which can make outdoor workouts more intimidating that IINspiring. However, with some creativity and planning, there’s no excuse to skip out on exercise!
Warm up and cool down with these fitness activities:
- Swimming – Whether you belong to a gym with access to a pool, visit a local public pool, or adventure into open water for swims in a nearby lake or ocean, swimming is a great choice for the summer months to keep you cool.
- Running –The sun rises as early as 5:30am in many parts of the world, making summer the ideal season for outdoor morning runs.
- Biking – Cycling is a great option during the warmer months, since you’ll catch some wind on the streets or trails. Be sure to wear your helmet, a layer of sunscreen, and take a water bottle with you!
- Yoga – Many cities offer weekly complimentary yoga classes, namely those with a lululemon athletica, such as Bryant Park Yoga in New York City. If you’ve never tried yoga outdoors, it’s an exciting way to spice up your typical routine.
That said, we know there are days when it can be too hot for even the most dedicated athletes. Not to fear - there are many online resources for workouts you can do at home:
Exercise TV – features excerpts from a variety of videos so you can get a taste before committing to a full program
SparkPeople Online Exercise Videos – short and simple videos to get you started
YogaDownload – live streaming videos, and videos you can download and save
SELF Workout Builder – customizable videos where you choose your own moves
Gaiam TV – sweat-sessions with celebrity instructors such as Jillian Michaels
Additional ways to fit some low-key fitness into your day:
- Ride your bike or walk to work (or to run errands!)
- Do some household chores
- Tend your garden
- Take the stairs
- Go on an after-dinner walk
What are your favorite summer fitness activities and tips?