Integrative Nutrition Blog
Is Health Coaching Right for YOU?
If you’re reading this right now then there’s a pretty good chance that you’re interested in wellness, and that something about the idea of health coaching appeals to you – even if you’re not quite sure what that means yet.
Sound about right so far?
Well, you’ve come to the right place.
We are the world’s largest nutrition school, with a curriculum and community you won’t find anywhere else.
So let’s start with the basics. What is a Health Coach, and what does one do?
A Health Coach is a guide and mentor who empowers clients in making real, lasting changes towards greater health. It is someone who provides the inspiration, motivation, and practical tools to help others implement and sustain lifestyle practices aligned with their unique personal wellness goals.
Every client is different, but some examples of focus areas could be:
- Switching from a low-nutrient diet to a well-balanced one
- Improving digestion
- Managing weight
- Reducing cravings
- Having more energy
- Just wanting to feel better
- Addressing mild conditions such as headaches or skin breakouts
A Health Coach does not take the place of any medical practitioner, rather he/she serves as the missing link in our healthcare system, helping to enhance overall wellness, prevent disease, or holistically address a condition that is also being monitored by a medical professional.
In recent years, we have seen an upsurge in Health Coaches working in private practice, health centers, and other conventional treatment arenas (not to mention writing books, opening restaurants, launching online classes, starting school-food programs, leading retreats or corporate wellness events, creating products, etc.), so your practice as a Health Coach will really depend on your unique interests, passions, and experience. The sky’s the limit on how you can apply your education once you graduate.
Here’s what you’ll need to become a Health Coach:
- Passion for health and wellness
- Desire to help others
- Training at a licensed school like Integrative Nutrition
Bonus if you have these:
- Ambition to change the world
So let’s talk details about training, because you are far more likely to be successful as a Health Coach if your training is top notch.
What does a great health coaching program offer?
- A school that is licensed by a state Education Department
- Educational partnerships with well-respected higher education institutions that enable students to receive college credit towards Bachelor or Master degrees
- Teachers who are renowned experts in the field of nutrition, health, and/or wellness
- Experiential learning, in which you become your own first client and practice repeatedly with classmates
- The approach that we are all different, and there’s no single diet that works for everyone
- An understanding that there’s much more to health beyond what you eat
- A non-dogmatic balanced perspective that emphasizes joy and intuition over strict rules
- Research-based insights on the current state of the healthcare landscape
- Practical information materials that are ready-to-use with clients
- A community of like-minded people who agree that food changes everything
- Student support that ensures all your questions are answered
- Techniques for listening to and guiding clients effectively and wholeheartedly
- Structured learning that keeps you on track, while enjoying discovery along the way
- Business, marketing, and communications resources to help launch your business, whether it’s part-time or full-time
- Optional advanced training after graduation
- A vision for a healthier, happier world that is supported by advocacy and partnerships
At the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, we provide ALL of the above, and then some. (See what our graduates have to say about it here. )
You can be efficiently trained in just one year to promote core, foundational health concepts to people all over the world.
Ready to get started?
Have a few questions about health coaching? Ask us in the comments below and we’ll do our best to support you!