Soothing Shitake Gravy
8 medium shiitake mushrooms, dried
2 1/2 cup boiling water
2 cups mushroom soaking liquid
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1/2 dried thyme
2 cups button mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
- Place shiitake mushrooms in a bowl and add boiling water, cover and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Drain mushrooms and reserve soaking liquid.
- Remove and discard stems from mushrooms and then slice into strips.
- Take 2 cups of mushroom soaking liquid and add soy sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan heat oil over medium heat and add onion, cook until golden brown, about 9 minutes.
- Add thyme, button mushrooms, shiitake mushrooms and cook about 4 minutes.
- Add flour and reserved mushroom liquid.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until mixture is thickened.
- Stir in parsley and serve hot.
- This is a great alternative to turkey gravy for vegetarians.