Integrative Nutrition Blog
27 Easy Ways to Kiss Cold Season Goodbye (Naturally!)
Ah, fall and winter, a time to snuggle up in your cozy socks, enjoy endless cups of tea and… be miserable with a slightly new variety of the seasonal companion you thought you had defeated last year: the cold virus.
Believe it or not getting a cold is NOT an inevitable consequence of this time of year.
If you follow a few simple precautionary measures you can definitely reduce the likelihood of catching it, or at least boost your chances of having it be a quickly passing blip in your general well-being rather than an incapacitating swamp of despair.
And if you’re in the unfortunate position of already having a cold, these suggestions will help you get over it quickly!
Here are 27 surefire ways to avoid getting sick this cold season:
- Wash your hands… a lot.
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Eat raw garlic, lemon, and ginger.
- Get outdoors for fresh air every day.
- Avoid sugar, starchy foods, and any foods with additives.
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Do fun things that make you happy.
- Eat lots of colorful veggies and fruit.
- Drink chamomile tea.
- Avoid stressful situations, or balance them with relaxation.
- Eat foods with probiotics such as sauerkraut or yogurt.
- Avoid alcohol and smoking.
- Take a multivitamin (with zinc and Vitamin D) and fish oil.
- Eat healthy protein every day, such as eggs, beans, meats, nuts, or seeds.
- Exercise a few times a week and break a sweat.
- Drink plenty of water.
- Don’t breathe in what someone else just breathed out.
- Do a daily nasal rinse with a bulb syringe or neti pot.
- Make your own fresh juice.
- Avoid touching surfaces that lots of other people touch.
- Take oregano oil at the first sign of any symptoms.
- Get a monthly massage to relax and release toxins.
- Sanitize the surfaces you use frequently, such as your phone or keyboard.
- Dress appropriately to avoid the stress of shivering when it’s cold.
- Take hot baths with lavender oil or Epsom salts.
- Make homemade bone broth.
- Take good care of your teeth.
Did we miss your favorite cold remedy or prevention tip? Please share in the comments below to keep the list going!