If you’ve ever thought, “Wow, what a coincidence!” or “It just showed up out of the blue!” you were likely experiencing a moment of synchronicity. The term synchronicity was introduced through the teachings and wisdom of psychotherapist Carl Jung. Synchronicity is defined as “the simultaneous occurrence of events that appear significantly related but have no discernible causal connection.” Simply put, synchronicity is a meaningful coincidence.
Have you ever had the feeling of being in the flow, where the exact people, ideas, and circumstances appear for you in the exact moment they are needed? Or perhaps you’ve thought about connecting with a friend, and then the next day you bump into them in the grocery store. Or maybe you’ve even had a specific question and then later that day overheard someone giving an answer to your very question. These could be considered moments of synchronicity.
Synchronicity is always occurring in our lives whether we are aware of it or not. However, when we are living in alignment with our purpose and taking inspired action, we are more likely to witness these moments of meaningful coincidence. On the flip side, when we are NOT living in alignment with our highest values and dreams, we can often miss the synchronicity in our lives. As Joshua playfully puts it, when we are not living in alignment, we can feel as though we’re being “whacked in the side of the head by the universe!”
Whether you currently feel like you are living in alignment and going with the flow of life or you feel as though you’re being whacked in the head, here are a few ideas to help you bring more synchronicity into your life:
- Be open. Simply be open to the possibility that coincidences are meaningful and significant whether or not you believe it.
- Pay attention. Have fun noticing any coincidences throughout the course of your day! What we focus on expands and grows, so set your intention on experiencing greater synchronicity in your life.
- Expect it. Try having an attitude of expectation and apply greater meaning to the things that are already showing up in your life.
- Write them down. Bring awareness to the synchronicity in your life by jotting down any coincidences that occur throughout your day.
- Live in alignment. When we are following our heart’s desires and taking inspired courageous action, we are living in alignment. Consider creating more balance in your life – nutritionally, emotionally, energetically, and mentally – to support being more in flow with life.
The topic of synchronicity is obviously quite intangible! That being said, these suggestions may or may not resonate or work for you, so approach this with curiosity and playfulness and see what happens!
Are you interested in becoming an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach? Click here to learn more!