Finding a job that you love can be tough. But we all deserve to wake up every morning excited to go to work.
For a lot of people, it can be hard to pinpoint exactly what our ideal career looks like. The exercise “Finding the work you love, loving the work you find” is commonly used in the field of job reeducation, and can help you figure out exactly what career is right for you.
Follow these five easy steps to find the work you love:
1. What do you love to do? Make a list of all of the activities that you enjoy doing in your free time. This could be anything from topics that you like researching to your hobbies and activities. Take your time and make sure you list absolutely everything.
2. Circle your top five. Go through your list, which of these activities could you spend 8 hours a day focused on?
3. Create Job Titles. For each circled item, make another list of every possible job title that relates to that subject. This will take time and might even take some research. Search the topic on the Internet or contact someone you know that works in the field to learn more about what the career entails.
4. Pick Three. Once you have a complete list of possible jobs, circle the three that are the most appealing to you. It may be that all three options are in different fields. If this is the case, try to think of a way that you can combine the three to create one career.
5. Just do it! Now that you have a clear career path in mind, you can focus your energy on making your dream job a reality. It will some time and effort to make this happen, but the benefit to your health and well being once you have a career that you love will be enormous!