If you’re someone who loves healthy, homemade and delicious recipes minus all the time it usually takes to prepare “slow” food then you’re going to love this quick and easy method for making a dairy alternative in just a few minutes. No overnight soaking required!
Coconut flakes and hemp seeds are widely available in health food stores and even some conventional supermarkets, and they’re not only good for topping your oatmeal. Combining them with room temperature water and a few natural flavor enhancers creates a creamy beverage you can use in place of milk for smoothies, coffee, homemade sorbet, or just to drink on-the-go.
Both coconut and hemp seeds are a good source of healthy fat, vitamins, minerals, and protein. Their milk can satisfy hunger, support hormonal balance, and even improve your focus if you bring it to work for a light snack.
Not to mention, kids love it too.
The best part? It only takes about 7 minutes to make!
- 1 cup of coconut flakes or hemp seeds
- 3 cups of room temperature water (warmer is better to rehydrate the flakes/seeds)
- 2 medjool dates, pitted OR 2-3 drops of liquid stevia (sugar-free option)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
You’ll need a nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer, and a funnel. If you don’t have a funnel, you can strain your liquid into a bowl first and then transfer it to a jar.
- Place the coconut flakes (or hemp seeds) and water in a blender, mix with a spoon, and let it sit for a few minutes to rehydrate so you’ll get a creamier result.
- Blend thoroughly, for at least 30 seconds.
- Add the dates (if using) and blend thoroughly again.
- Place the funnel over your jar and the nut milk bag over that.
- Pour the entire mixture through to strain, using a spoon to scoop out any clumps left in the blender.
- Squeeze the bag with your hands to extract as much liquid as possible.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and stevia (if you didn’t use the dates).
- Mix with a spoon and enjoy!
A few quick notes:
- The cinnamon tends to settle at the top but you can always just shake it before drinking.
- Consume the milk as soon as possible to get the best flavor.
- If you plan to drink it as-is and want a heartier version, toss in some chia seeds.
- Reduce the water ratio for a thicker, creamier consistency.
Now wait a minute, you didn’t think we’d mention homemade sorbet and leave you hangin’ there did you? Here’s a simple recipe you’ll love!
- Peel a whole banana, break it up into a few slices, and place in the freezer overnight or for at least 5 hours (yes the waiting is tough, but it gets easier if you get in the habit of just always having a banana in the freezer!).
- Place the banana in a blender, let it soften at room temperature for about 5 minutes, then blend it, slowly adding your coconut/hemp milk until the texture is just right.
- Add some raw cacao, other fruit, or your favorite toppings and enjoy!
What’s your favorite non-dairy “milk” and why? Share in the comments below!