June 7, 2017
Last Updated:
March 4, 2021

Choosing Wellness While Keeping it Real

When it comes to wellness, you’ll likely come across a wide spectrum of advice, products, and methods for how to do it “right.” You’ll be tempted to crave the perfect, healthy Instagram lifestyle. You may even ride the rollercoaster of yo-yo dieting, being “good” while adhering to strict guidelines, only to return to your comfort foods with the added guilt of not having sustained some absurd expectations.

Sound familiar?

Well, we’re here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be this way! You can be healthy AND indulge on occasion, because life shouldn’t be about perfection or the stress of limitation.

Wellness is a marathon, not a sprint.

It’s what you do most of the time that really matters.

At Integrative Nutrition, we have an 80/20 ratio that helps keep wellness in perspective. That applies to food, exercise, and most other self-care. If you take good care of yourself at least 80% of the time, and you feel good, then your body can handle the other 20%.

For example, if you eat plenty of fresh veggies and nutrient-rich real foods, then you can enjoy some ice-cream on a sunny summer day. Unless you have a health condition that requires unique attention, the occasional cookie or cocktail isn’t going to derail your otherwise healthy lifestyle.

live a life you love as a health coach guide opt in banner

You don’t need to eat kale every day as long as you consume greens regularly.
You don’t have to do yoga if other movement is incorporated into most days.
You don’t need to learn how to turn your avocado into flower shapes, clumpy or mushy avocado will do just fine!
You don’t need to meditate, but consider some peaceful or contemplative practice to cultivate a calm mind.

Let go of external ideas of wellness, and strive to be your own beautiful, bio-individual self. If you can choose healthy activities 80% of the time, you’re already doing better than over 80% of the population. So give yourself a break and feel good about your progress!

If you’re passionate about wellness, want to explore these ideas further, or seek to inspire others to get on the path to health, check out our Health Coach Training Program.

What’s your ratio of healthy to indulgent activities now? What will you shift? Share with us below!

Profile picture







Latest post on Instagram

The Original Health Coaching Program

Learn more about IIN’s rigorous curriculum that integrates 90+ of the world’s leading experts in health and wellness, blending the scientific and the spiritual to create an immersive, holistic health education.

Blog Article Curriculum Guide V2 (small/tokens)

Health Coach Training Guide

By clicking 'Download Now', I consent to Integrative Nutrition and its affiliates contacting me by email at the address provided and/or by telephone at the number provided (by live, automated, or prerecorded phone calls or text messages) about the products and services offered by Integrative Nutrition and its affiliates. I understand that my consent is not required for enrollment and may be withdrawn. This page is protected by Google reCAPTCHA.