Going to school is an important decision and it’s normal
to have a few questions.
Check out the ones we hear most frequently below!
1. TELL ME MORE ABOUT YOUR PROGRAM - WHAT IS IT, WHAT WILL I LEARN?
Your work is done completely online, but that doesn't stop our program from being an interactive experience. Students have the opportunity to connect with classmates during the program, as well as successful Health Coaches and IIN graduates during live coaching calls. The IIN staff is also available to help guide students throughout their time with IIN.
2. WHAT IS THE FORMAT OF THE HEALTH COACH TRAINING PROGRAM?
All learning content is hosted in our online Learning Center, where you’ll access video lectures, PDF materials, quizzes, assignments, and tests. You’ll have a private Facebook group that you will be able to join upon enrollment where you can interact with classmates and IIN staff about the curriculum and program updates.
Throughout the program, you’ll have the opportunity to interact with a small group of classmates and an experienced IIN Health Coach in coaching sessions that will help facilitate your education to become a practicing Health Coach.
Overall, this program can fit the flexibility of anyone’s schedule, whether you’re working full-time, part-time, or anything in between. As long as you’re keeping up with the graduation requirement milestones throughout the program and complete the program within the allotted time – 6 months or 1-year, depending on the path you chose – you can succeed in this program!
3. DO YOU OFFER THE HEALTH COACH TRAINING PROGRAM IN ANOTHER LANGUAGE BESIDES ENGLISH?
4. WHAT’S THE CURRICULUM LIKE?
Discovering your best self and taking those learnings to inspire and empower others is the heart and soul of what we do. We’re not your traditional nutrition program because we take a holistic approach to wellness and explore all of the things that affect your health – think relationships, spirituality, finances, physical activity, creativity, and more. We do this by deep-diving into over 100 diverse dietary theories spanning from ancient Eastern Traditions to modern Western medicine, including our own unique core concepts, bio-individuality and primary food. But we’ll never tell you what’s “right” or “wrong,” because we don’t believe in that. We believe there’s no one-size-fits-all diet and as you go through the curriculum, you’ll learn what makes you feel like your best self and how to help clients achieve the same. You are your first client and you may find yourself losing weight, increasing your energy, and saying goodbye to all that negative self-talk. You will fall back in love with the most important person in your life. YOU.
You'll also be on the road to career freedom. We’ll train you to launch a meaningful career as a Health Coach and how to achieve your own personal goals for success. There's no recreating the wheel here. We've made launching the career of your dreams as easy as 1, 2, 3. You’ll hone essential coaching skills like active listening and asking high mileage questions as well as marketing practices like finding your niche market, creating a website (you actually get this for free!), and using social media.
5. WHAT IS A HEALTH COACH?
There's a ton of buzz about Health Coaches out there right now, which is probably why you're here!
A Health Coach is a wellness professional whose main goal is to guide clients to reach their health and wellness goals, whether that’s sleeping better, boosting energy, weight loss, stress management, and so much more. Health Coaches create a safe space for their clients to explore their health, facilitating behavior and lifestyle change that can be sustained for the long-term.
Using their nutrition and coaching education, Health Coaches help their clients discover which foods and lifestyle choices makes them feel best. Most importantly, Health Coaches take a holistic approach to health, not just focusing on food, but also all the other areas of life that can support and nourish your overall health, such as career, spirituality, relationships, and environment.
Health Coaches can work with clients one-on-one or in group settings, or alongside other healthcare professionals such as medical doctors, chiropractors, therapists, and nurses. Health Coaches play a pivotal role in the greater healthcare team, filling the void that is often left by doctors who don’t necessarily have time to provide nutrition and coaching guidance.
To put it simply, Health Coaches are changing the world and reversing the global healthcare crisis. Health Coaching is one of the quickest growing careers and Health Coaches are seriously in demand.
6. HOW MUCH IS THE INSTITUTE FOR INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION?
The cost of IIN’s Health Coach Training Program is $6,795 USD.
We understand that having your finances in line is an important part of your personal balance and happiness, and we want everyone who wants to be part of our community to be able to have that balance. We offer personalized payment plans and (every so often) special offers on our tuition. The tuition reflects our value in this increasingly competitive market, and while we’re the most prestigious and longest-standing health coaching school, we work to keep our tuition prices low so that we can provide this valuable education to as many people as possible.
Remember, this is an investment in you and your future. When you invest in yourself by enrolling in our program, not only are you taking steps towards achieving your own goals, you’ll contribute to bettering the health of your family and community and can even significantly reduce medical costs. Maybe you’ll even launch a new and exciting career. Trust us, the opportunities are endless.
IIN is competitive priced and although we are the oldest and most prestigious school for health coaching, we work to keep our prices low. You may find a lower priced option but nothing that delivers more value.
7. WILL PEOPLE TAKE ME SERIOUSLY AS A HEALTH COACH?
You bet they will! Integrative Nutrition is recognized worldwide as a renowned Health Coach Training Program – we’re the largest nutrition school in the world! We have over 100,000 students and graduates in over 155 countries. We also have partnerships with colleges and universities so you can use your IIN education towards pursuing higher education, if that’s something you’re interested in. When you graduate from the program, you’ll officially be an Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, and this title will allow people to recognize your work and your education everywhere you go!
We’re in the middle of a global health care crisis, and Health Coaches play an important role in the greater the healthcare system, often working alongside doctors, physicians, nutritionists, and other healthcare professionals. Health Coaching is one of the fastest growing fields in health and wellness, estimated to be worth over $7 billion by 2022, according to Research and Markets.
8. HOW IS A HEALTH COACH DIFFERENT FROM A REGISTERED DIETITIAN (RD)?
A Health Coach is trained to help clients reach their health goals. They receive training from a qualified program that teaches necessary coaching skills, as well as foundational nutrition information in order to best serve their clients and their health concerns. Health Coaches do not diagnose, nor do they treat. Health Coaches can be part of a larger healthcare team in which they are one part of a client’s health journey, providing a safe space for the client to explore their options on how to improve their own health.
A Registered Dietitian (RD) is a food and nutrition expert who have 1) completed a minimum of a bachelor’s degree with an accredited institution; 2) completed a 6-12 month supervised practice program; 3) passed a national exam and 4) kept up with continuing education requirements, as needed. RD’s are licensed to provide dietary recommendations for their clients based on the client’s medical and individual needs.
9. IS THE INSTITUTE FOR INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION AN ACCREDITED SCHOOL?
IIN is licensed by the New York State Department of Education. We’re incredibly proud of this, as we aim to provide a robust health coaching curriculum that not only meets our high standards, but those of the Department of Education. They regularly review our curriculum, which means that we are being held accountable for the content we provide, ensuring it’s correct and up to date. This oversight is important to us, as we want to continue to be the go-to for those wanting to pursue a career in health coaching.
The Institute for Integrative Nutrition is continuing to gain traction and recognition by the government and has developed educational partnerships with several colleges and universities, allowing graduates to earn up to 29 college credits and use their IIN education towards a bachelor’s, master’s, or even a doctorate degree. Some of IIN’s partnerships include: International Health Coach University, Goddard College, Excelsior College, SUNY Purchase, and Maryland University of Integrative Health.
Learn more about our partnerships and affiliations here.
10. AM I CERTIFIED AFTER GRADUATING FROM THE INSTITUTE FOR INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION?
Upon graduating, you will earn the title of Integrative Nutrition Health Coach, and you will receive both a paper certificate and a digital badge to display your accomplishment across your online channels. We offer a certificate of completion, not a certification.
IIN offers graduates two opportunities for further credentialing:
1. Integrative Nutrition Health Coaches are eligible to take a top-up course (provided by IIN) that prepares them to take the NBHWC (National Board for Health & Wellness Coaching) certification exam, giving them the ability to call themselves a board-certified health coach. The NBHWC was founded by leaders from academic and vocational coaching programs. NBHWC aspires to create licensure as a condition for health coaching and their certification as the requirement for licensure.
2. Integrative Nutrition Health Coaches are eligible to sit for the IAHC (International Associate for Health Coaches) certification exam after graduating, no top-up course required. This exam tests knowledge on the scope of practice and ethical responsibilities of a Health Coach. Graduates who pass the exam earn the title Certified International Health Coach. The IAHC was created to certify competency for Health Coaches around the globe. The mission of the IAHC is to advocate on behalf of Health Coaches and continue to develop the profession in concert with other healthcare professionals.
Currently, no governmental agency requires any health coach certification.
11. WHAT SETS IIN APART FROM OTHER HEALTH COACHING SCHOOLS?
Integrative Nutrition is the longest running institution that offers training in health coaching. Founded in 1992, what started as a small macrobiotic cooking class in NYC has evolved into a global school that has trained 100,000 students and graduates in over 155 countries. These incredible students and graduates are fulfilling the school’s mission of spreading the ripple effect of health and happiness, impacting millions of people around the world.
While we have a lot to be proud of, our role in creating the profession of health coaching comes with a deep sense of responsibility to protect the integrity of what a Health Coach certificate actually is, and what it stands for. For this reason, below outlines the critical elements that we feel set us apart from other health coaching schools:
• We created the field of health coaching: We’ve been around the longest, and we take pride in igniting the movement that has created other health coaching schools, as it demonstrates the need for, and the power of, Health Coaches and their incredible work.
• We’re licensed by the New York State Department of Education: This means that our curriculum is regularly reviewed to ensure that our content is both up to date and accurate. Being held to these high standards is important to us, and helps ensure that we can provide a world-class education that you can apply wherever you’re learning in the world.
• We’re partnered with a variety of U.S. and international academic institutions to allow you to advance your education - and your career - with your IIN certificate: Our Health Coach Training Program is worth up to 29 credits towards a bachelor’s, master’s, or even a doctorate degree, at participating institutions. Our training is also worth up to 43 CEUs with our State University of New York partnership, so that you can apply your IIN education towards propelling your existing career forward.
• You’ll learn from over 85 experts in our dynamic, online curriculum: Our instructors are experts in their fields such as integrative health, nutrition, functional medicine, spirituality, alternative healing modalities, business and coaching. Our program pillars are focused on Nutrition, Coaching, and Business, and you’ll get the skills you need to become a successful Health Coach.
• You can learn anywhere in the world, on any device: Our online program is hosted on our online Learning Center, which gives you the flexibility to learn on your schedule in our 1-year or 6-month accelerated program options. You can even download program materials for offline use on our app.
• Our advocacy efforts empower you to effect real, sustainable change in the lives of millions: We advocate on behalf of the Health Coach industry by working with leaders and policy makers in government. This advocacy aims to promote the work and value of Health Coaches, which not only impacts the health coaching industry in the U.S., but also around the globe, as more countries catch on to the value that health coaching has on health outcomes. Most recently, the passing of CPT codes by the American Medical Association underscore this value, paving the way for health coaching services to potentially be covered by insurance!
With that said, we are proud of the other schools out there because many of the people who started them are graduates of IIN and we stand behind our community in any way they chose to do good.
12. WHY IIN WHEN I CAN GO TO ANOTHER PROGRAM FOR LESS MONEY?
We’re confident that our comprehensive approach to health and health coaching is well worth the investment. Check out the answers to the above question, “What sets IIN apart from other health coaching schools?” to get a more in-depth understanding for why IIN is the best choice for your money.
To be completely transparent, you get what you pay for. We’ve been training people to be Health Coaches for nearly 30 years; no other program can say that. We’ve also trained some of the founders of other health coaching schools, yet our program is the most robust on the market.
13. WHO IS MY TEACHER?
During the program, you will hear from more than 85 visiting teachers who are experts and thought leaders in the fields of health and wellness. Our visiting teachers provide high-quality and timeless instruction on a variety of topics. You can check some of them out here.
In addition to our visiting teachers, you will hear from members of the IIN staff. Our faculty hold a number of credentials and qualifications, including advanced degrees and certificates in: Business, Culinary Arts, Education, Feng Shui, Law, Massage Therapy, Acupuncture, Nutrition Science, Dietetics, Personal Training, Photography, Videography, Psychology, Public Health, Website Design, Yoga and Pilates.
Many members of our staff are also Integrative Nutrition Health Coaches who run coaching practices and other businesses in their spare time, such as wellness centers.
14. IS IIN REALLY SCIENTIFIC? HOW IN-DEPTH INTO NUTRITION DO YOU GO?
First and foremost, our program is designed to give you the knowledge you need to affect change. You’ll learn over 100 dietary theories from the experts and visionaries in the health and wellness fields. With the knowledge you gain from each concept, you’ll be able to choose which ones you’d like to dig deeper into. We’ll also cover basic nutrition science and anatomy concepts so you’ll have a general sense of how the body functions.
Our program also focuses on lifestyle factors that influence health - all of the things that nourish your mind, body, and soul that can't be found on your dinner plate: relationships, career, exercise, and spirituality – what we refer to as primary food. Health Coaches use everything they learn to guide and mentor their clients shift towards positive change and implement healthy daily habits.
15. WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY INTEGRATIVE NUTRITION HEALTH COACH CERTIFICATE?
The possibilities are endless. Our graduates not only create part-time and full-time health coaching businesses, but they spread the ripple effect of health and happiness in the following ways:
· Partner with doctors in their private practices
· Uplevel their existing career with their health coaching knowledge - many Health Coaches already have careers in health and wellness
· Become a Health Coach for a wellness center, spa, gym, or health food store
· Open their own wellness centers, spas, gyms, or health food stores
· Create their own products in the food, beauty, or supplement industries
· Become involved with local & federal government to influence health and food policy
· Create their own podcasts and TV shows
· Write books such as cookbooks, how-to books, and self-help books
· And so much more!
16. WHAT REQUIREMENTS DO YOU HAVE TO MEET TO ENROLL?
Our only academic requirements are a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. If you have a passion for health and wellness, a desire for a transformative personal experience and/or career change, and the determination to make a difference in the world, you’ll find success within our program.
17. IS IIN FOR EVERYONE?
We know that while the return on your investment in our program is undeniable, it’s not for everyone. There are always going to be people who don’t believe in your or what you stand for, and we’re okay with that because the people who do are changing the world, and we invite you to try the program out for yourself.
Integrative Nutrition is proud of all we’ve achieved since we were founded nearly 30 years ago. We have over 100,000 students and graduates in over 155 countries – it’s amazing how far we’ve come from the small kitchen in New York City to a school that has impacted hundreds of thousands of people!
We’ve seen the true value of the program come to life time and time again, with our graduates finding that their health has radically transformed during their time in the program. Over the years, as nutrition science has evolved, research has been conducted, and our understanding of health has gotten even stronger, we’ve resolved to revise our curriculum on a regular basis to meet the needs of our students. In fact, because of our license with the New York State Department of Education, we must update our curriculum regularly to ensure we’re providing the most up to date nutrition, coaching, and business information.
18. DOES INSURANCE COVER HEALTH COACHING?
We are working tirelessly with policy makers to make health coaching more accessible to all. We have a full-time advocacy staff member in Washington, D.C., working on behalf of Health Coaches not only in the U.S., but around the world, to establish their value and further the understanding of Health Coaches in the healthcare system.
Most recently, the passing of CPT codes by the American Medical Association underscore this value, paving the way for health coaching services to potentially be covered by most insurance! These codes are what are used by medical professionals to submit services to health insurance companies, and the introduction of health coaching CPT codes is a huge step in the right direction. Read more here.
There are a few insurance companies that cover Health Coaching, and you’ll see that more and more doctors are hiring Health Coaches to work alongside them in their practices, but other types of coverage do not. We recommend that you ask your health care provider if these types of services are covered to be sure.
It’s important to know that recognition of health coaching as a career and of Health Coaches as an essential component of the health care system is on the rise. As recognition grows, there are an increasing number of people who are looking for preventative and lifestyle management services from a Health Coach rather than from typical doctors’ visits. Now, more and more people can now visit with a Health Coach in addition to visiting with their doctor, all in one place!
19. HOW DOES IIN SUPPORT THE GREATER GOOD?
We believe in the power to use business to make the world a better place and help those in need, which is why we support likeminded organizations through charitable contributions. Since 2010, we have donated over $2.5 million to 200 charities worldwide.