SAVINGS END 7pm ET
3 Summer-Friendly Cocktails with a Healthy Twist
Summer is finally here – on the northern hemisphere – and it’s time to relax, have some fun, and let yourself be a little bad for a change. How about a cocktail?
Of course, we encourage using your judgment to ensure that any alcohol consumption is done safely, but assuming you’re not going overboard, a delicious drink is a great way to welcome the summer weekend with friends.
In true IIN fashion, our cocktail menu has a healthy twist!
Below are 3 summer cocktails made with nutritious ingredients. Prepare them as they are, or use them as inspiration to modify as you wish.
*For those that include sugar, try substituting with maple syrup, coconut sugar, or stevia.
Strawberry Coconut Water Cocktail
This recipe from Drizzle & Dip tastes like an adult version of a smoothie, and it has coconut water to replenish electrolytes!
- 1 cup coconut water
- 1 cup strawberries hulled and sliced
- 3 T of sugar syrup or agave nectar
- 1 shot (as much as you like) of white rum
- To make the sugar syrup, boil sugar and water together in a ratio of 1:3 sugar to water, and boil in until it thickens to a runny syrup consistency. Store in a jar for all future cocktail making. It pretty much lasts forever.
- Cut open the coconut, or if you are lucky enough to live in a country that sells fresh coconut water in a bottle, measure one cup. Add the strawberries, sugar syrup and rum and blend with a blender.
- Serve with loads of ice.
Why choose between a juice and a cocktail when you can have both in one fancy glass? This recipe via popsugar features freshly pressed kale and ginger for a vitamin and mineral boost.
- 1.5 ounces 100-percent agave blanco tequila
- 1.5 ounces fresh-pressed kale-ginger juice
- 1ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave syrup
- Candied ginger, for garnish
- Shake all ingredients with ice, then strain over fresh ice into a rocks glass. Garnish with candied ginger.
Iced Green Tea Mojito
Love the taste of green tea and mint? This recipe from Skinnytaste is simple and refreshing, and contains antioxidants to help your skin glow… assuming you also get some shut-eye.
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 4 large spearmint leaves, plus more for garnish
- 4 baby arugula leaves
- 2 tsp sugar (I used raw, use your favorite sweetener)
- 1/2 cup brewed green tea, chilled
- 1 oz white rum
- Muddle the lime juice, mint, arugula, and sugar together in a tall Collins glass until the leaves bruise lightly and the flavors release. Add ice until glass is about 3/4 full and then pour in rum and green tea. Stir well and garnish with mint and lime.
Interested in more ways to purse a healthy balance? Check out our Curriculum Guide!
What’s your healthy take on a favorite cocktail? Share with us below!