In this new series, Ask IIN, we round up the most pressing health and wellness questions ‒ from food and exercise to relationships and career ‒ from real people just like you! Then select Integrative Nutrition Health Coaches and wellness experts will answer your questions so you can feel empowered to live your healthiest, happiest life.
What are the healthiest on-the-go snacks?
In this edition of Ask IIN, we asked two graduates to recommend the best snacks that will leave you feeling nourished and satisfied. Plus they’re great for the kids to take to school!
Alexandra McCormick, Integrative Nutrition Graduate, Board-Certified Health and Wellness Coach
What I hear most often is that people get hungry and crave sugar around 10am or 4pm. This is very common, yet we’re always unprepared for it! So we usually end up making unhealthy choices because all that’s quick and available is a bag of chips or a chocolate bar from the vending machine or that box of donuts someone left in the kitchen.
The key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle is planning. Being organized and planning ahead are really the secrets to living a balanced lifestyle that’s sustainable. I have listed some healthy snack and treat ideas so you can curb those cravings and balance your blood sugar without the guilt!
Savory snack ideas
If you have a salty tooth rather than a sweet one, try out these savory options:
- Boiled egg with pink Himalayan sea salt
- Hummus and chopped veggies and/or your choice of crackers (I like flaxseed crackers)
- Guacamole with chopped veggies and/or a handful of your choice of tortilla chips or crackers (I like grain-free tortilla chips and gluten-free crackers)
- Toast with plant-based cream cheese and sliced tomato (I like cauliflower toast)
- Organic popcorn
- Organic nuts and seeds
- Bone broth
For those of you with a sweet tooth, these will hit the spot:
- A piece of dark chocolate
- Small protein smoothie (see my recipe here)
- Apple slices with nut butter and cinnamon
- Greek or plant-based yogurt topped with granola (watch out for added sugars in packaged granola!)
- Organic dates stuffed with nut butter and dark chocolate chips
- Raw nuts and raisins
Georgia Thompson, Integrative Nutrition Graduate, Health Coach, and Wellness Blogger
Snacks are a must in my world! I actually have a full blog post on my site with some of my favorite snack suggestions and recipes. I try to look for snacks with a good balance of carbohydrates, for quick energy, as well as protein and healthy fats, to keep me satiated.
Some of my go-to health snacks are:
Image via Georgia Thompson