How to Find a Wellness Accountability Buddy – And Why You Should
Navigating change is hard to do in nearly any endeavor, but it’s doubly challenging when that change entails food, fitness, or daily habits. Short of having a unique wellness community to lean on, an accountability buddy is the next best thing!
An accountability buddy is someone you can trust to support and encourage you to stay committed to your goals. Ideally it’s someone who’s not shy about dishing out a little tough love when you need it, and someone who shares a similar goal - because it’s helpful to talk about your up’s and down’s with someone who really understands what you’re going through.
Note that an accountability buddy is not likely to be someone who’s fully qualified to guide you in making deep, lasting changes – you’d need a certified Health Coach for that – however it does provide you with a shoulder to lean on someone to listen when you’re self-pacing.
So, how do you know if you should find an accountability buddy?
- You have a wellness goal.
- You’d love a little help, inspiration, or support to reach that goal.
- You feel that you could be equally supportive in helping someone else succeed in their own goals.
Any yes’s there? If so, an accountability buddy is worth a try.
Here’s what you can do to find one:
- Think of someone you’ve already spoken to about wellness, someone who is also experimenting with living more healthfully and who has a positive outlook. This could be a friend, relative, co-worker, or acquaintance. It’s best if you know this person well enough to feel comfortable to speak freely, but not have them be so close that their influence could become overwhelming.
- If you can’t think of anyone, seek out Facebook groups or online forums, or go to local events where you could make new friends who are also on a path to wellness. Your accountability buddy can be local, but phone meetings with anyone in the world works too!
- When you have someone in mind, simply ask if they’d like to be your wellness accountability buddy.
Check in with your buddy weekly to discuss progress, challenges, and aspirations for the week ahead. Remember to keep the dialogue going both ways so you are supporting each other.
If you find that you LOVE this process and want to help yourself and others become healthier and happier then you might just be a health coaching natural.
Check out our Curriculum Guide for all the holistic knowledge you’ll gain at Integrative Nutrition, and you’ll have a life-long wellness community to support you every step of the way!
Do you have an accountability coach? How do they help you stay on track? Share with us below!