2011 – A Monumental Year for Health Coaching
As 2011 comes to an end, it’s the perfect time for reflection. Protestors around the world demanded that their voices be heard, and we lost tech visionary Steve Jobs whose legacy defined a generation. Congress blocked new rules to make school lunches healthier, while Medicare joined the fight against obesity. Though the world is in a constant state of motion and change, we think of our accomplishments from previous months and set clear goals for the year ahead.
At Integrative Nutrition, we are committed to being the catalyst for change. We think of 2011 was a monumental year for health coaching.
Our students and graduates are changing the face of health and wellness. They are making headlines, creating new products, and enjoying continued success. They are also coming up with innovative new ways to bring health and happiness to a world that is primed for a shift from the status quo.
We recapped the first half of 2011 back in July. (Read our Half Year in Review for all the details.) The second half of 2011 has been action-packed as well.
- The six recipients of our Seed Grant Program were announced. We are excited to support them and the projects they are launching to create a healthier world!
- President Bill Clinton celebrates his heart healthy vegan diet.
- Joshua joined the Twitterverse! Follow Integrative Nutrition founder @JoshuaIIN
- The USDA rejects NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg’s anti-obesity initiative.
- Mainstream medical physicians embrace the idea of recommending a healthy diet before medication – so much so that the term "vegetable prescription" catches on around the country!
- We hosted the Fall IINto Action Conference at the Javits Center in New York City. It was the largest health coaching conference ever with over 3,500 IIN students and graduates in attendance! [VIDEO]
- As gluten-free diets surge in popularity, we offer 55 ways to enjoy the gluten-free lifestyle.
- The FDA urges the corn industry to stop using the term “corn sugar” in an effort to differentiate the effects of high fructose corn syrup from sugar.
- Slow Food hosts their first $5 Challenge and encourages people worldwide to create a healthy, home-cooked meal for only $5 per person.
- Integrative Nutrition partnered with CSPI’s Food Day to support healthy diets and local sustainable food choices.
- From listeria to salmonella, food safety was a hot topic. In response we offered 10 tips to avoid foodborne illness.
- After an 8-year battle with cancer, Steve Jobs passes away leaving behind a legacy that will define our generation.
- IIN introduces the iPad into our Health Coach Training Program, making it even easier for our students to learn using cutting-edge technology. [VIDEO]
- We hosted another NYC conference at Jazz at Lincoln Center. Rock the Ripple Effect was a special thank you to our Ambassadors and those who are actively spreading our mission of health and happiness.
- Health Coaching is proven effective – even long distance. So says the New England Journal of Medicine.
- In January, the USDA proposed changes to the nation’s school lunch program for the first time in 15 years. On November 17, Congress blocked those changes and declared tomato paste on pizza a vegetable.
Medicare joins the fight against obesity and announced they will now reimburse obese patients for weight-loss counseling.
- Fox business features IIN grad Kerrie Martin and we declare the win as Health Coaches go mainstream!
- IIN pledges to donate $50,000 to The Girl Effect with your help! Just one click can make a
Things to Come in 2012…
- The winner of the IIN Transformation Contest.
- The 2012 IIN Mega Conference in beautiful Los Angeles, California!
And don’t forget the big picture! Check out our 2020 vision!
Here’s to a happy healthy holiday and a 2012 that changes lives for the better!